The end of October is fast approaching and that means the November 1 entry deadline for the Voice of Democracy and Patriot’s Pen contests is near! Please remember judging on the Post level should be completed by November 15 and winners sent immediately to the District level.
Here are a few tips regarding judging that can be applied at all levels:
- Select anywhere from three to nine judges
- Judges should be from outside your Post/Auxiliary/District.
- Choose community leaders from:
- Small Businesses
- Universities and/or Community Colleges
- Civic Groups (Kiwanis, Lions Club, Rotary, etc.)
- Judges must not be in any way connected with any of the student participants.
- For Voice of Democracy, judges need to listen to the recording only.
- Make sure judges use the score sheet with the following criteria:
- Originality (30 points)
- Content (35 points)
- Delivery (35 points)
- For Patriot’s Pen, each judge should be given a copy of the essay and a score sheet listing:
- Theme Knowledge (30 points)
- Theme Development (35 points)
- Clarity of Ideas (35 points)
- For both contests, the essays and recordings should be identified to the judges by number to ensure the anonymity of the student.
- Judges should not discuss the essays or recordings during the judging process, and should not have any contact with the students. The judges’ decisions are always final.
If you have questions on any aspect of the Voice of Democracy and Patriot’s Pen competitions, please feel free to contact Kris Harmer at VFW National Headquarters by phone: 816-968-1117 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Since these are VFW contests, she is the “go to” person and is very happy to help the Ladies Auxiliary members.