As Patriotic Instructor, your job is to encourage members on the proper salute to the U.S. Flag, as well as the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. The Patriotic Instructor takes time to understand the Ladies Auxiliary VFW Ritual and the Federal Flag Code, and helps members to understand the traditions and ceremonies of our organization.
There are several tools available for you on the National Ladies Auxiliary VFW website such as:
- The “Understanding Auxiliary Traditions” Help Sheet.
- A video on “Understanding Auxiliary Traditions” to use as a tool for Schools of Instructions, meetings, etc.
- The Color Bearers’ Flags shall be held at attention with the right hand above on the flagstaff, left hand on a level with the right elbow with left arm across the waist, as shown at the left.
- The Color Bearers carrying the flags do not sing or recite the Pledge to the Flag. They always place the Flags in stands before sitting down. Stands must be placed at the right of the Color Bearer’s chairs.
- When Officers (including Color Bearers, Flag Bearer and Banner Bearer) vacate their stations, but remain in the room, the chair does not have to be filled by another member.
- When the Chaplain opens and closes the Bible, the members should STOP all movement and talking and remain seated or stationary during this time.